This is hard.

Being a mom is tough but so are you.

If you are using alcohol, marijuana and/or other drugs to cope with stress or trauma, you are not alone. Support is available so you can be the strongest mom possible.

OK I'M READY - Substance Abuse Help

A Message for Every Mom

We are so glad you are here. We know it is not easy being vulnerable and seeking help. Celebrate your bravery, for you are making a choice to learn about the possibilities and opportunities of a life free from coping through substance use.

Putting yourself and your needs first is the most important step in not only working towards recovery but also strengthening your family. We want you to know you are not alone and you are not to blame. Substance use disorder (SUD) is a disease that can be treated.

We know you are tough as a mother, but there is no need to go on this journey alone. Support is available.

What to expect:

Disclosing substance use does not mean you will lose your child or your children. In fact, there are treatment programs where your children can be with you while you get support.


The treatment providers that we recommend are not part of the court or child welfare systems.


Your treatment will be confidential and judgment-free.


You can get support and be in treatment with other pregnant women, or with mothers like you who have children at home.


Treatment providers can be your advocates. They speak up for you and support you during your recovery.


Why get help

Many people don’t understand why or how someone, especially a mother, becomes dependent on drugs and alcohol. They don’t understand the disease of addiction. Quitting takes way more than good intentions or a strong will—it takes the right medical treatment and therapeutic support. Through scientific advances, we know more about how drugs work in the brain and better understand how to treat substance use disorder. Get the treatment you deserve, so that you can be the strongest mom possible.



Pregnancy can be an exciting, overwhelming and stressful time, and if you are using alcohol or drugs you may feel particularly overwhelmed and afraid to ask for help. Using substances causes risks to both you and the fetus, therefore it is particularly important to seek support during this time. Certain detox methods during pregnancy can be very risky and treatment is critical to both you and your baby’s health. A treatment provider can create a plan so your fetus can develop as healthy as possible.

Need answers to: How do I start creating my Family Care Plan?

Will my child or children be taken from me if I seek treatment?

Child Welfare cannot be involved until the birth of your child unless you and your child have a current open case. Child Welfare may become involved or place your baby in out of home care if there is a risk of abuse or neglect, including if the baby is affected by substance use. If you are in treatment and have a Family Care Plan, this provides you the ability to advocate for yourself while taking the steps to build a safe and healthy environment for your child(ren).

What is a Family Care Plan?

The goal of a Family Care Plan is to strengthen the family, help mothers have a healthy pregnancy, and keep child(ren) safely at home.
A Family Care Plan includes but is not limited to:
– A personalized guide to ensure you get the necessary resources to help you and your family thrive.
– A “recovery resume” or diary that helps communicate your strengths, needs and accomplishments to your providers and others.
– A tool to help with care coordination.
– A tool to keep you organized and store all documents in one place.

How do I get a Family Care Plan?

– You or anyone (service providers, family, others) can assist in creating a Family Care Plan. It belongs to you.
– You or anyone can take this free course (insert training link & QR code) to better understand how to create one.
– If receiving CW supports, they can refer you to a treatment provider that can assist.

When do I make a Family Care Plan?

A Family Care Plan can be developed anytime. Ideally, it should be developed before or during pregnancy.

If a Family Care Plan has not been started during pregnancy, it should be developed after delivery but before leaving the hospital.
The earlier you start a Family Care Plan, the more time you have to prepare for your baby with support.
Be sure to work with your providers to update your Family Care Plan with new information to highlight your progress.

Who can benefit from a Family Care Plan?

The Family Care Plan was designed for women with current or a history of substance use and infants who may have been exposed during pregnancy. However, we have found that many people can benefit from using this tool, including: – Families involved with child welfare or the court system.
– Families with social needs like food, clothing, housing, etc.
– Families trying to coordinate care across multiple systems, services, and providers.

Who should be involved in creating and updating my Family Care Plan?

A Family Care Plan should include input from all service providers involved in your care and the care of your child(ren).
Providers could include:
– Social worker /case manager
– OB/GYN and primary care doctor
– Substance use disorder treatment providers, case manager, or peer recovery coach
– Mental health provider
– Pediatrician
– Faith leaders or counselor
– Staff from home visiting programs

If I go to treatment, or decide to leave treatment, will I be reported to child welfare?

If you are not already in the system , whether voluntarily participating in treatment or leaving treatment, substance use during pregnancy does not require a referral to child welfare. This could change if there are other children in the home and providers believe the child is at risk of abuse or neglect, making the living environment unsafe.

Can I get help with childcare while getting support or while I am in treatment?

Childcare resources may be available through certain treatment providers. Some have on-site childcare, some have arrangements with local childcare providers, and some will help you cover the cost of childcare.

If you qualify for halfway house or residential treatment, your child(ren) under 12 may be able to come with you. If you are in outpatient treatment you may be able to bring your children to the program or group, or childcare may be available. Be sure to ask your treatment provider about childcare options.

What is the difference between inpatient and outpatient treatment?

In Oklahoma, Inpatient treatment could involve living at a “halfway house,” residence with 24/7 care, but a less restrictive environment and less treatment hours than residential. “Residential” treatment means that you live at the place where you are receiving support and treatment. This type of care is best for someone who would not be able to stop using if they were living at home.

Outpatient treatment means you continue living at home and is more common than residential treatment. Depending on the amount of care you need to stop using, your treatment could take one or two hours a week or last for multiple hours a day, each day of the week.

Can I get help with transportation to and from my treatment?

Some treatment providers can and may help with transportation services and cost. Be sure to ask for more information from the treatment provider.

How is women-only treatment different from co-ed treatment?

All patients and counselors in women-only treatment programs are women. At a co-ed facility, you would be in a women-only group most of the time, but men may join the groups for some topics. In co-ed facilities, you may also see and interact with men during meals and recreation time.

How will I pay for formula, diapers, food and other things my children might need while I’m in treatment?

Some treatment programs provide diapers and formula to patients. In other cases, WIC, food stamps (SNAP), or program fees may cover these items. Learn more about Oklahoma’s WIC program and other state benefits that are available to families.

Will Medicaid cover my treatment?

Oklahoma’s publicly-funded women’s treatment programs accept Medicaid. If you are not on Medicaid, these programs offer flexible payment plans and a sliding scale to make sure the cost of treatment is never a barrier between you and your health.

Pregnant women who are eligible for Oklahoma Medicaid can get treatment covered for free through Soonercare.

Can you help me if I’m involved with child welfare or court systems?

Yes. Your treatment program is not part of either system, but your counselors and providers can help with advocacy and support for you and your children.

How long can I be in treatment? Will I get kicked out of treatment if I relapse or struggle to make progress?

You will never be kicked out of treatment if you are sincere about getting support. Relapses and struggles are a sign of addiction illness. Treatment is about finding a path to successfully overcoming an addiction. That process may take several attempts. If needed, your treatment may change to help you move forward. Our treatment providers are here to listen and provide unbiased support to meet you where you are in your journey to change and to strengthen your family.

Can my family be involved in treatment?

Your family can be involved in your treatment so long as you are comfortable with their participation.
It’s up to you how much information you share with your friends and family. Your treatment provider will protect your privacy and not share information about your treatment with anyone without your consent.